Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vintage Seeds - The Experiment, Day 1

Not wanting to limit my experiments to food that already exists I have decided to branch out into vintage seeds. Mostly this is because I was told I couldn't plant 10 year-old seeds, they wouldn't grow. Of course this is a challenge and one that will result in no harm but some empty potting soil with some dried bean 'compost' added to it so I couldn't resist. They might as well have double dog dared me.

The beans I am planting are low bush beans (meaning I don't have to scrounge around for anything for them to climb on and low maintenance is good). They were packed for 1999 making them 10 years old. The beans on the right are the same type of bean but were packed for 2007. Not exactly new but they should sprout just fine.

On their little popsicle stick marker they are labeled as 'old beans' and 'new beans' so I will remember which is which.

I planted 28 old bean seeds and 32 new bean seeds - this was only because I realized I could probably squish more in so, as this experiment progresses, I will now how many were planted and can calculate the percentages.

I can't help but wonder, if the beans do actually grow, will they taste musty coming from really old seeds?

No comments: