Friday, March 13, 2009

Cheap drinks

To save money on alcohol, you can buy generic booze. You can also save money on alcohol by buying generic booze and drinking it really slowly. Really, reeeeeaaaalllly slowly. Take, for example, this bottle of gin. Clearly a generic brand, since practically the only printing on the label is the word GIN. 


Notice the thick layer of dust. How does a bottle get that dusty? Well, a bottle that is between 27 and 31 years old would have no problem gathering that much dust! I know for a fact that this bottle was around in 1982. I used this bottle in 6th grade to spike the punch at a Girl Scout potluck with my friend Jennie. Relax, it's not as bad as you might think--we only put in a tablespoon of gin and then probably half a cup of sugar to hide the taste. It was a big bowl of punch, so I don't think anyone noticed. 

But, I digress...  The bottle was definitely purchased after my parents bought their house, since it came from the next town over (and we moved from several states away). If the bottle was bought the year we moved in, it would be 31 years old. If it was bought the same year I decided to serve alcohol to minors, it would only be 27 years old. 

Gin and tonic, anyone? 

No comments: